Friday, October 2, 2009

Dracula by Bram Stoker

I'm actually glad that I picked this book. It's very interesting and the most descriptive book I have ever read. I'm a visual learner and helps me with picturing the characters and their surroundings. Of course if i had picked this up by random choice, I would've finished it. Surprisingly it is easy to bury myself into because it's not completely and utterly boring. The characters are easy to understand and relate to, but it's definitely not because I'm a vampire fanatic.

The most dominant literary element is imagery. The author describes things down to the nub. Such as the shape of a women's skirt or the length of Count Dracula's canine teeth. It is very obvious and it shows in about every one to three pages. Stoker takes a noun and adds multiple adjectives to create a complex yet obvious descriptive language.

The author may have been using imagery to create a descriptive picture and to help you understand and feel the experiences of the main character using all the five senses. He also might have used imagery to give the book character because it is written in diary form.
The tone is somber yet dramatic at the same time. The characters are solemn and yet they have so much personality. It does not change because the book is very constant.

1 comment: